Thursday, February 11, 2010

Adjusting to life with four kids four and under.

Wow, has it been awhile or what? I have been meaning to update our blog for quite sometime now, but it seams that time has gotten the best of me. I never knew how much time would be taken up with four kids four and under, it seams I hardly have time to myself anymore, but I am okay with that because I am having a blast with the time I am spending with my wonderful kids and amazing husband. In the past two months there are a lot of lesson that I have learned or rather relearned and I would like to share some of them with you. They are not really in any order, other then how I am remembering them. But I would have to say that one lesson that is probably one of the most important would be this one.
1. When things go wrong (or not like you planned one) take a step a back, a deep breath, and just laugh. Most things can and do turn out funny when not taken in the stress of the moment. An example would be... Aaron just dressed, bathed and ready for the day, Me in the other room changing Rachel's bum listening to Emma in the bathtub yelling at Aaron to stop and get out of the bathroom because he already took a bath. I at first didn't think much of this conversation because there have been many times when Aaron has walked in on his sister in the tub and has expected Emma gets mad. But when I finished with Rachel and went to get Aaron I was surprised to find him in the tub with his clothes on and toy in hand. All in all it was pretty funny, my only regret is not talking a picture but rather pulling him out to quickly.
2. Kids are just kids and will be just that, KIDS.
3. Potty training is a lot of work, but differently has its rewards and funny moments like when Seth is told to try and go to the bathroom so he goes and tries. A few minutes later he can be found yelling for mommy almost in tears because "it's not working" I got to find out what is wrong and when he tells me it's not working I am confused at first until he tells me that the poo is not coming out so it's just not working. In Lamens terms he didn't have to go. (again another laughing moment.)
4.Kids really do want to be just like their parents. ( Emma tells me everyday how she can't wait to grow up, live in her own house, and have babies come out of her tummy. Just like mommy.)
5. Cherish the sleep you get, when you get it, for it is rear and few in between.
6. Be grateful for the help you get from others. Even the smallest things to someone else can be mean the world to me. Such as friends that help take Emma to and from Preschool so I don't have to load all the kids up and unload them just to turn around and do it again an hour and a half later. Or when my mom or one of my sisters will randomly show up and offer to watch the kids so that I can nap. Huge blessings.
7. Family time is needed and very important to the kids. I have to say that when Jeff came home and told me they were realizing him as EQ president, I was a little excited because he would be home more, (not that he was gone a tone, but I love the time we get to spend as a whole family, plus he is a huge help with the kids.) but then he told me they were releasing him so that they could call him as Young Men's President. I was excited at first, then realized that the young men's takes a whole lot more time then EQ did. Now I get to brag about my great husband. Even though he is gone more with the young men, he still remembers what is important to him and makes time for the family. He has had lots of meeting and of course the weekly activities and even a scout outing so far, but has been very helpful at home. When he is home it is all about the kids and me. He plays with them, reads to them and the kids love it. He helps out with the dishes, the dirty diapers, the laundry and cleaning the house. I don't know how he dose it all working full time, helping at the house, young men's president, and currently looking into taking more classes to better his career. He truly is my hero and best friend.
8. Husbands hugs can make it all better. When Jeff hugs me, it reminds me that I have him to fall back on when the day has been a little crazy or I didn't get much sleep. A simple little hug can make a world of difference in my mood and outlook on the day.
9.Four kids, four and under may be hard, but it makes life a ton of fun. Watching the kids interact with each other is one of my favorite things to do. I love it when Rachel is laying on the floor with out a blanket and crying only to see Seth go and get his favorite blankie and put it on her then sit next to her until I come to help. (mind you no one can touch his blankie, but him.) or when Emma and Seth are playing and Aaron comes along and they actually let him play with them (even if he is Swipper the bad fox, at least they are playing with him, usually they run into the boys room and slam the door.) or when one of the boys falls and gets hurt Emma is there making sure they are okay and kissing it better, or when all they want to do is hold Rachel and give her kisses. They are great kids and I love them so much. I pray they will stay close friends for life, I know they will have there arguments, what siblings don't, but when all is said and done I hope they have each other not only as siblings, but as friends as well. Much like I have with my own sisters.
10. Most importantly, the Lord loves me. Despite all my downfalls, shortcomings, and weaknesses, He still loves me and sends little miracles each and everyday to remind me of His love for me. Just like Alma says, there are signs everywhere showing us that our Savior lives, all we have to do is look around and we can see His hand in everything around us.
LIFE IS A MIRACLE, TIME IS A BLESSING, FAMILY IS A TREASURE.

1 comment:

Nat said...

You are my inspiration! What a beautiful post. Thank you for helping remind me of what is important. You are such a wonderful example. I sure love you! And you have such beautiful kids!